Jarrod Mills from Est Restaurant wins Australian Young Sommeliers Competition 2013
John Studdert, Australian Echanson, and Jarrod Mills, of Est Restaurant, winner of the 2013 National Young Sommeliers Competition
Jarrod Mills from Est restaurant will be heading to Washington DC to represent Australia at the La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs (La Chaîne) International Young Sommeliers’ competition on 18 October.
Jarrod won this opportunity in a demanding final held at the Royal Automobile Club of Australia in Sydney on July 15. The final involved examinations, a service test and a blind tasting of wines. Jarrod was judged by Michael Engelmann MS, Head Sommelier, Rockpool Bar & Grill, Sydney, Mark Protheroe, Group Sommelier Grossi Group and John Studdert, Echanson d’Australie, La Chaîne.
Since 2007, La Chaîne has held an annual International Jeunes (Young) Sommeliers Competition to offer young sommeliers (under 35) an opportunity to present their skills under highly competitive, intense and gruelling testing conditions.
There are three levels in the Young Sommelier’s competition:
- a regional (State-based) competition which consists of a written examination;
- a national (Australian) final where the winners of regional competitions are invited to compete in a written theory test, a blind test and a service test; and
- an international final where the national winner is invited to again compete in a written theory test, a blind wine identification tests and service tests.
The competition is based on the Court of Master Sommelier procedures.
La Chaîne Australia has participated in the international competition since 2011. Australian representatives who have competed are:
- Daniel Wegener, Print Hall, Perth – 2011 International Final in Athens, Greece; and
- Yuki Hirose, Rockpool Bar and Grill, Sydney – 2012 International Final, Cape Town, South Africa.
This competition provides a great opportunity for emerging Australian sommeliers to hone their skills and become exposed to the international sommelier community through La Chaîne. The winner and runners up receive an internationally recognised award that they can use to promote themselves and/or the restaurants they work with.
For further information – please contact
John Studdert, Echanson d’Australie on 0411063839 or email@example.com
Sam Giddings, Vice-Echanson NSW on 0439 133 300 or Sam.Giddings@mynrma.com.au